• Menu
  • Menu

Archive - 1970's

Burton Mercantile And Gin Company

“An invention that changed the world.” Abstracting from the normal format of blogs here on Abandoned Arkansas, this blog about a cotton gin in Tupelo will be in a first person point of...

Coker Hotel

THIS LOCATION IS NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC There are some buildings in this world that have a lot more than just 4 walls an opening date and some history. The Coker Hotel in Warren Arkansas may look...

Magazine Jail

By 1934, the citizens of Magazine, Arkansas had decided upon the need for a jail structure. Most towns across the midwest had already had these tiny one cell jails at this point. The jail was made of...

Hallie’s Rest Stop & Zoo

Arkansas’ most unique “Rest Stop” had a lot more to offer than a few snacks and a drink. Hallie Charles Ormond first opened the rest stop & zoo in on labor day, 1973 with hopes...

Gypsy Camp

According to Maggie Smith (author of Hico, a Heritage), the story of Gypsy Camp begins with a fishing trip. Around 1921, two brothers from Tulsa, Oklahoma took a fishing trip on the Illinois River...

Saenger Theater

The Saenger Theatre, which opened in Pine Bluff on November 17, 1924, was called “The Showplace of the South” and made Pine Bluff an entertainment center for people in southeast Arkansas. It was one...

Masonic Home For The Aged

  On the northwest corner of E. Harrison and N. Ash is a six-story brick building that once housed a Masonic Home for the Aged. Construction began in 1926. Thirty-seven residents moved into the...

Logan County Memorial Hospital

The Logan County Memorial Hospital of Guthrie Oklahoma was formerly named the Benedictine Heights Hospital. Construction started in 1926 and was slowly built due to the depression. It was completed...

McCartney Hotel

Built in 1929 and designed by Joseph Finger, the McCartney was named after W.A. McCartney, SR. McCartney became a very important man in Texarkana who moved to the town as a small child in 1874...

Macks’ Cotton Gin

In an area called the “Oil Trough Bottoms”, halfway between Newport and Oil Trough on Highway 14, stands the remnants of Macks’ Cotton Gin.  The gin was built in 1909 by...

Copyright © 2009- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@AbandonedAtlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer