|City/Town: • Marianna|
|Location Class: • Church|
|Built: • 1960 | Abandoned: • 1990's|
|Status: • Abandoned • Endangered|
|Photojournalist: • Michael Schwarz|
Twenty miles south of Forest City, sometime in the late 1800’s, a small community was formed around Peter Rock Church. This community eventually grew into what is now Marianna, AR, and while the congregation still exists, the original building that housed the first outpost of this community is abandoned and, recently, caved in. Though the original time the Peter Rock Church was constructed is unrecorded, the building was used for approximately 70 years before being rebuilt in 1960 by Reverend J.T. Hart, either due to demolition or natural disaster.
The town of Marianna began to grow away from Peter Rock at that point, gaining a larger population and many other denominations leading to an urban center several miles away from the church. Due to location issues and increasing instability, the congregation shut their doors on the old Peter Rock Church in the late 90’s and moved to a more central, downtown location. The original building has been left to decay on the outskirts of Marianna and recently collapsed due to structural issues.
There are currently no plans to demolish the building, so on it stands, broken down, still housing its piano and pews under crushed roofing, standing as a memento to the community’s humble beginnings.
Article written by Wells Thompson – AAR staff
If you wish to support our current and future work, please consider making a donation or purchasing one of our many books. Any and all donations are appreciated.
Donate to our cause Check out our books!