|City/Town: • Combs|
|Location Class: • School|
|Built: • 1917 | Abandoned:|
|Status: • Abandoned|
|Photojournalist: • James Kirkendall|
The Mountain Crest Academy was located in Franklin County and was founded by the Presbyterian Churches to serve rural Arkansas. The idea of the academy was started by Rev John Jeter and his wife who finally raised enough money to construct the two-building campus in 1917-1920. Mountain Crest included classrooms, a library, and a boys and girls dormitory. A majority of the students came from Crawford, Madison, and Franklin Counties and the charge of tuition was $1.00 a month. It served grades one through twelve grades. John Jeter finally decided to leave his position as the schools’ superintendent and left it in the hands of Reverend Holly Hunter Patrick who served until the campus closed in 1931. The schools’ main cause of closing was possibly due to the depression. The Presbyterian Church eventually sold the buildings to a farmer who used them as chicken houses. Only one of the Mountain Crest Academy buildings still remains standing as of today.
If you wish to support our current and future work, please consider making a donation or purchasing one of our many books. Any and all donations are appreciated.
Donate to our cause Check out our books!