|City/Town: • Texarkana|
|Location Class: • Hotel/Motel|
|Built: • 1924 | Abandoned: • 1970's|
|Status: • Under Renovation|
|Photojournalist: • Caitlen Taylor • Cody Taylor|
The well known Hotel Grim was once the “Crown Jewel” of Texarkana in it’s heyday. Built in 1924-25 and closed down in 1990, the hotel was filled with history and memories through the duration of its years in operation.
Hotel Grim completed construction in July of 1925 and opened on Wednesday, July 15, 1924. Designed by architects George Mann and Eugene Stern and named after William Rhodes Grim a prominent businessman in Texarkana. The hotel stands eight stories tall with 250 rooms at a cost of $600,000 to construct. The lobby remains a breathtaking sight even today and featured stone walls and marble flooring. The first floor housed the hotel’s café, the main dining room, as well as the famous Palm Court. The mezzanine held a beauty parlor, a barber shop, a coffee shop, a private dining room, and a drug store. Hotel Grim also had a beautiful roof top garden that could quickly converted to a large ballroom and accommodate many guests. Hotel Grim was the hot spot of Texarkana in the 1930’s hosting many parties for the rich, big name jazz bands, and was well known for having illegal card games for high rollers. In 1934 radio station KCMC even established a studio inside the hotel.
In 1934 Bonnie and Clyde along with Henry Methvin were rumored to have made an appearance at Hotel Grim. An employee at the hotel recognized Bonnie from a magazine photo and stated that she came in to the hotel’s café and was sitting at the counter eating a sandwich while Clyde and Henry remained in the car. After a while Clyde became anxious and sent Henry in to retrieve her. Henry entered the café and pretended to be reading a magazine, when Henry and Bonnie made eye contact she then knew it was time to leave.
DOORS TO HOTEL GRIM ARE LOCKED. THIS LOCATION IS PATROLLED AND WATCHED BY THE COMMUNITY. fLOORS ARE FALLING IN AND MOLD IS GROWING EVERYWHERE. DO NOT GO TO THIS DANGEROUS LOCATION.