|City/Town: • Cord|
|Location Class: • Church|
|Built: • 1950 | Abandoned: • 2003|
|Status: • Abandoned • Endangered • For Sale|
|Photojournalist: • Michael Schwarz|
The Hopewell Cumberland Presbyterian Church was first founded in 1835 by the local community of Cord. A small wooden church building was constructed in the early 1900’s across the street from the current location of the church today. The small community fell victim to a fire that destroyed the church and a few homes in the mid 1940’s. Carefully built with stone, a new church was reconstructed in 1950 and invited many new members. However, attendance began to decline in later years as many people moved south to bigger cities. Around the mid 1980’s, the church closed due to lack of congregation and the church sat abandoned.
A few years later the church was purchased and refurbished into Ye Old Church Antiques & Gifts. This shop featured a few items from the old church along with antiques from the store owners own collection. Eventually the shop had to close in December of 2003 due to slow business and a few tax issues.
The old church was bought once again and the owner had plans to turn it into a house, however, his plans for the residence fell through and the old place worship once again, sat empty.
[button link=”http://shop.abandonedar.com/photogallery/gallery14/” type=”big” color=”red” newwindow=”yes”] Purchase Prints[/button]
If you wish to support our current and future work, please consider making a donation or purchasing one of our many books. Any and all donations are appreciated.
Donate to our cause Check out our books!