|City/Town: • Hot Springs|
|Location Class: • Hotel/Motel|
|Year Built: • 1904 | Year Abandoned: • 1983|
|Status: • Abandoned|
|Photojournalist: • Michael Schwarz • Grant King|
Looking above altered first floor storefronts the Dugan-Stuart building remains a testimony to the early 20th century architecture. Built in 1904 four at house medical offices, this building has two identical splayed wings, camped with a massive cornice with dentils and modillions. Note the rich terra-cotta embellishing the top corners. Later the medical offices were converted into a hotel in the 40’s. Windows in each wing in sets of three, have banded brick forming posters between them. Fifth floor windows and art, note the round windows between them. Originally between the two halves was a column supported pediment entrance way one could into to go to the famous basement bowling alley. This bowling alley was used as a hideout by most of the gangsters from the 20s.
Some of the upper floors used to be wide open areas until the building was converted into a hotel. Note the ceiling on some of the upper floor photos. You can see where the original decoration in cases the steel beams just below where the ceiling starts. Each door handle has the initials “D&S” (for Dugan & Stuart) engraved and still has a majority of 40’s hotel interior. From light fixtures, bathrooms, tiling, elevator doors and much more.
The lower floors in the past have housed various sundry shops, however today the building has been purchased and is undergoing major renovations starting in the first part of 2015.