|City/Town: • Snowball|
|Location Class: • School|
|Year Built: • 1938|
|Year Abandoned: • 1970's, 2007|
|Status: • Demolished|
|Photojournalist: • Michael Schwarz • Eddy Sisson|
Originally named Calf Creek, the town of Snowball, Arkansas was founded in the early 1800s. After the entire downtown area was destroyed by a steam engine explosion in 1879, a newly built Masonic lodge was purchased by the town and named after the County Sheriff Bill Snow. This served not only as a lodge but also as a school and the church.
Several years after the newly named town Snowball, Arkansas was founded, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a brand-new school building for the children of Snowball in 1938. This school served 1st through 12th grade, and the students were transported to and from the school by one bus. The building had a wood interior, with a wooden stove in the back to heat the school during winter. The outside of the building was a stone similar to that the Masonic lodge. In the 1970s enrollment declined to approximately 30 students. This resulted in the consolidation with the Marshall school district; the Snowball school was then left abandoned. Severe weather and yearly floods condemned the school, and shortly after the old school caught fire in the 80s. Luckily the stone facade of the old school remains.
The gym sits right next to the remains of the old school, and was built several years after the school. After the gym’s closing in the late 1970s, the town reopened it as a Civic Center in 1982, where they would host several events a year including haunted houses. The last haunted house was held in the late 2000s. Shortly after the gym closed once again.
The gym now has a warped floor, dusty and empty bleachers, haunted house remains and untold stories.