|City/Town: • Jasper|
|Location Class: • Jail|
|Year Built: • 1903|
|Year Abandoned: • 2009|
|Status: • Abandoned • National Register of Historic Places|
|Photojournalist: • Eddy Sisson • James Kirkendall|
The former Newton County Jail is located at the junction of Spring and Elm Streets in Jasper, Arkansas. Built of local stone c. 1903-04, it served as a local lockup until 2009, when a new jail was opened. It is a two story structure, located just off the courthouse square northwest of the county courthouse. Its main facade has a center entrance flanked by barred windows, and a larger two-leaf casement window, also barred, set in a segmented-arch opening, at the center of the second floor.
The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994
Newton County shut down it’s jail July 1, 2009 .The old jail was over 100 years old and was in constant operation until it’s closing this year.