|City/Town: • Huntington|
|Location Class: • Jail|
|Built: • 1887 | Abandoned: • 1957|
|Historic Designation: • National Register of Historic Places (2008)|
|Status: • Restored|
|Photojournalist: • John Rupp|
The City of Huntington announced on May 31, 1888, that sealed bids for a calaboose that would be 14×18 feet and a 12-inch partition. Vernacular cut stone was used for the construction and while it wasn’t uncommon to find, the jail is the best remaining example of the cut stone form of construction in Huntington. The first Marshall to serve in the new jail was John T. Davis who held the position from 1889 to 1892.
The jail was commonly used to house petty criminals for crimes such as fighting, gambling, and drinking. It was utilized up until 1957 when most of these frontier jails were found to be not in compliance with jail regulations and standards. Fortunately, this jail was not forgotten, in 2008 the city made strives to put the building on the National Register of Historic Places which was then accepted. A beautiful plaque now rests on the door of the jail.
If you wish to support our current and future work, please consider making a donation or purchasing one of our many books. Any and all donations are appreciated.
Donate to our cause Check out our books!